Casa Asia and Exterior es Diverso, the Spanish LGBTI Foreign Service Platform, present a series of panels on the situation of LGBTI people in Asia and in Spain. The first two panels combine Spanish Diplomats in the region with various representatives from the civil society in Asia, aiming to identify major trends related to being LGBTI in Asia, both in terms of improvements and good practices, but also the challenges experienced by diversity in Asian countries. The first panel will present perspectives from Kuala-Lumpur, Manila, Beijing and Bangkok.
Exterior es Diverso is the LGBTI platform of the Spanish Foreign Service formed by Spanish Foreign Ser-vice employees and their families. Among other activities, it has recently published “Acción exterior y derechos de las personas LGTBI”.
Panel 1. Being LGBTI in Asia: good practices and challenges
The language of the panel is English.
- Cristóbal Alvear: Expert on Comparative Constitutional Law and LGBTI Rights (Spanish resident in Kuala-Lumpur)
- Ryan Silverio: Executive Director, ASEAN SOGIE Caucus, a network of human rights activists from Southeast Asia (Manila).
- Luis Melgar: writer, Spanish Diplomat in Beijing and member of Exterior es Diverso (Beijing)
- Timo T. Ojanen: Advisor to Foundation for Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Rights and Justice (For-SOGI) and foreign expert at Thammasat University (Bangkok)
- Javier Parrondo, Director General of Casa Asia
- Gaëlle Patin Laloy, Senior Programme Officer, Diversity and Interculturality, Casa Asia
Information on the other panels will be published soon.
Follow this event live: